Metal buildings are strong, durable and a preferable method of construction for industrial, commercial and even institutional uses. Currently, people have adopted the idea of utilizing metal systems in their residential properties. This brief overview looks into why metal construction is the superior method of building compared to wood.
Reasons for Using a Metal Building Instead Of Wood
- Engineered Structure- A metal building system is designed to meet specific collateral load, live load, wind load, dead load, seismic forces as well as snow load. All rafters, columns, panels, girts, purlins, fasteners, and bolts are designed to work together. On the other hand, wood constructions are not built based on engineered drawings and the house is designed by on-site fabrication and assembly hence they may not be as perfect as Arizona steel buildings.
- Bolted versus Nailed Connections- Metal constructions feature string bolted construction that has high strength and almost impossible to tear down. However, wood structures are connected with nails which are not as strong as bolts.
- Material Durability- Metal is more resistant to extreme weather conditions compared to wood.
- Metal is also not easily destroyed by termites but wood rots due to water damage. Steel constructions are coated with a primer to prevent rusting and enhance their longevity.
- Termite Resistance- Wood construction is easily destroyed by termites which may result in substantial repair costs. Metal cannot be destroyed by termites.
- Efficiency- People have adopted the use of metal building systems as a shop, residence or even recreation space. Since the home and shops share one roof and same walls, the overall cost of construction is reduced.
- The speed of Construction- Unlike a wood construction, a metal building system is engineered, fabricated and detailed at the manufacturer’s plant and then shipped as a finished product to a job site for bolting. You will just need to assemble the metal system fast and easy compared to wood construction which requires much time to construct onsite increasing development time.
- No Load Bearing Walls- A metal construction does not need an interior support column, and none of the interior walls of the property is weight bearing. A builder can make last minute changes to interior walls fast and easy as they do not alter the shell building of the construction. Future remodeling of a metal construction is also easy as walls can be removed or moved without impacting the strength of a building. Making changes to a wood construction can affect the strength of the building. Moreover, a metal building has larger open spaces compared to the wood construction.